Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed January 27, 2010
Filing Deadline Passes
Frankfort, KY – The filing deadline for seeking public office in Kentucky this year has passed. Secretary of State Trey Grayson closed the door on qualifying Monday afternoon, and says he's impressed with the number of people running.
"It's hard to say whether we have an all-time record of filings, but we certainly in recent memory have never had this many candidates for state office. And I think that's good for the voters."
Six Republicans and five Democrats are running for the seat now held by U-S Sen. Jim Bunning, who's not seeking re-election. All six Kentucky congressmen will have general election battles this fall, but three won't know their opponents until after the May 18th primary. There are contested races for 60 seats in the Kentucky House and 17 in the Senate.