Most Active Stories
- While Dangerous Predicted Winter Weather Won't Contend With '09 Ice Storm
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
- EKU Plans Response To White Supremacist Flyer Posted In Classroom Buildings
Felon Voting Rally
Fri March 9, 2012
Felons' Voting Rights Supporters Rally
Supporters of legislation to restore voting rights to felons say the offenders have paid their debt to society and should have full suffrage granted automatically.
House Bill 70 is a constitutional amendment that would allow for that restoration, which is currently banned.
The House has already advanced the measure, but like in years past, the bill seems dead on arrival in the state Senate.
That didn't stop members of Kentuckians for the Commonwealth and other groups to rally loudly for an hour in the Capitol Rotunda in support of their bill Thursday.
The rally included speeches from former felons who want their voting rights back, as well as lawmakers, including House Republicans, who support the measure.