Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Mon August 3, 2009
Farmers Markets Popular in IL
Springfield, IL – Federal government data shows the number of Illinois farmers markets has nearly tripled in the last 10 years. The data also shows farmers in Illinois sell about $114 million in specialty crops a year.
Delayne Reeves is a marketing specialist with the Illinois Department of Agriculture. She's in charge of grant money to support locally grown foods. Reeves says there's demand from the public for farmers market fruits and vegetables.
Last week, the state reported access to $435,000 in federal grants to help expand access to Illinois specialty crops, such as pumpkins, strawberries and snap peas.