Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Wed March 31, 2010
Fanfarlo On World Cafe
Thanks to a soaring sound and down-to-earth songwriting sensibilities, the London-based band Fanfarlo was one of 2009's fastest-growing buzz bands. Led by Swedish songwriter Simon Balthazar, Fanfarlo was formed in 2006, and soon began touring and releasing new music. Its first full-length album, the critically acclaimed Reservoir, came out last year.
Fanfarlo's spiky indie-pop feels both fresh and familiar. In addition to the usual lineup of drums, bass and guitars, the group employs an array of instruments ranging from keyboards and mandolin to horns. The result is a style that's ambitious yet emotionally engaging.
This segment originally ran Nov. 19, 2009.