Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Fri September 4, 2009
Ex-Soldier to Be Sentenced in Rape, Murders
Paducah, KY – A former U.S. Army soldier is scheduled to be sentenced to life in prison without parole for the rape and murder of an Iraqi teenager and the shooting deaths of three of her family members.
U.S. District Judge Thomas Russell is expected to hand down the automatic life sentence to former Private Steven Dale Green on Friday.
A civilian jury convicted Green in May of rape and multiple counts of murder for the March 2006 deaths of the al-Janabi family at their rural home outside Mahmoudiya, Iraq. The panel couldn't reach a unanimous decision about whether Green should receive a death sentence, automatically making Green's sentence life in prison without parole.