Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Fri June 15, 2012
Energy Electric Inc. to lay off 44
Joppa Illinois' coal-fired power plant will shed nearly four dozen jobs in the next two months. Energy Electric Inc. President Bill Sheppard says 19 of the 44 job cuts will be management personnel.
25 union workers in the company with about 233 employees will be laid off Aug. 11. Sheppard says the reductions are fallout from the struggling economy and wholesale supplier prices that had fallen by 60 percent in 2008 and an additional 15 percent last year. He says drop-offs in the price of natural gas also are a factor.