Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Thu July 12, 2012
Energy Consumers Should be Aware of Bill Scam
The Jackson Purchase Energy Cooperative is warning its members about a telemarketing scam offering bogus payment of energy bills.
Co-op members are being told that their bills will be paid with funds from a special federal program, but it requires the member’s personal information such as their social security number.
Similar bill payment scams are currently being investigated in Mississippi, North Carolina, and Arizona. Co-op members are urged to contact local energy suppliers if they receive phone requests for personal information.