Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Thu July 12, 2012
Energy Consumers Should be Aware of Bill Scam
The Jackson Purchase Energy Cooperative is warning its members about a telemarketing scam offering bogus payment of energy bills.
Co-op members are being told that their bills will be paid with funds from a special federal program, but it requires the member’s personal information such as their social security number.
Similar bill payment scams are currently being investigated in Mississippi, North Carolina, and Arizona. Co-op members are urged to contact local energy suppliers if they receive phone requests for personal information.