Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Wed December 31, 2008
Embattled Governor's Appointment Leaves Heads Scratching
By Jacque Day
Southern Illinois – The embattled governor's announcement of his pick of Roland Burris, the 71-year-old Southern Illinois native, to fill the U.S. senate seat vacated by President-Elect Barack Obama, left many slack-jawed. This includes Dr. Pamella Gronemeyer, a member of the branch of Progressive Democrats of America from Burris' home turf in the Illinois 19th Congressional District.
"It's no reflection on the character of Mr. Burris, but, I think the abrupt appointment of Mr. Burris by Governor Blagojevich was inappropriate at the time that it was made, and it was an effort to deflect attention from the legal activities that are surrounding him."
But Gronemeyer isn't alone. Senate leaders say they won't accept anyone Blagojevich appoints, and Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White, who must certify Burris' appointment, says he won't do so.