Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Wed March 11, 2009
Ellis Park May Close
By Lisa Autry/ Angela Hatton
Henderson, KY – After 88 years in business, this might be the last for Henderson's Ellis Park. Track owner Ron Geary tells the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission he plans to reduce the number of meets this year and shut down the track in 2010. Geary says he can't compete with the 16 states that have casinos or slot machines.
"They are systematically stealing Kentucky's signature industry and we're doing nothing to protect ourselves."
For the past several legislative sessions, Geary and other race track owners have pushed state lawmakers to approve some form of alternative gaming. This year was no different. A bill sponsored by House speaker Greg Stumbo to allow computerized slot machines at horse tracks failed to muster enough support.