Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed March 11, 2009
Ellis Park May Close
By Lisa Autry/ Angela Hatton
Henderson, KY – After 88 years in business, this might be the last for Henderson's Ellis Park. Track owner Ron Geary tells the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission he plans to reduce the number of meets this year and shut down the track in 2010. Geary says he can't compete with the 16 states that have casinos or slot machines.
"They are systematically stealing Kentucky's signature industry and we're doing nothing to protect ourselves."
For the past several legislative sessions, Geary and other race track owners have pushed state lawmakers to approve some form of alternative gaming. This year was no different. A bill sponsored by House speaker Greg Stumbo to allow computerized slot machines at horse tracks failed to muster enough support.