Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Tue April 7, 2009
Ellis Park Cuts Schedule
By Angela Hatton
Henderson, KY – Ellis Park Horse Track in Henderson is cutting half of its summer racing schedule. Park owner Ron Geary says he can no longer compete with other states that offer much larger purses financed by gambling at their horse tracks. Kentucky's horse racing tracks fought for video lottery terminals during this year's legislative session, but came up empty-handed. Geary says lawmakers need to understand what's at stake.
The fifteen states that have done this are doing quite well and I haven't heard anything about the social ills. All I've heard is they are stealing Kentucky's signature industry and getting away with it.
Ellis will hold twenty three racing days this summer. Geary says a shorter schedule will allow for more competitive purses. The park owner has indicated without some form of expanded gambling in the state, this summer may be the last racing season at Ellis.