Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon November 2, 2009
Election Filing Begins
Frankfort, KY – The candidate filing period for Kentucky elections begins Wednesday and thousands of registrations are expected across the state. Secretary of State spokesperson Les Fugate says presidential mid-term election years are typically the busiest years for cities and counties. And two indicators have him predicting near record filings for next year's races.
"The first is the future year candidacy letters that have been filed with the Kentucky Registry of Election Finance. They've had a record number of those filed this year. The second is the sheer number of phone calls our office has received."
But Fugate says he doesn't expect 2010 filings to surpass 2006, which was an all-time high for the commonwealth. Depending on the office being sought, filings can be made with county clerks or the Secretary of State through January 26.