Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- Bad Luck: Murray Business Loses Office After Collapse, Then Fire Threatens New Office
Mon November 2, 2009
Election Filing Begins
Frankfort, KY – The candidate filing period for Kentucky elections begins Wednesday and thousands of registrations are expected across the state. Secretary of State spokesperson Les Fugate says presidential mid-term election years are typically the busiest years for cities and counties. And two indicators have him predicting near record filings for next year's races.
"The first is the future year candidacy letters that have been filed with the Kentucky Registry of Election Finance. They've had a record number of those filed this year. The second is the sheer number of phone calls our office has received."
But Fugate says he doesn't expect 2010 filings to surpass 2006, which was an all-time high for the commonwealth. Depending on the office being sought, filings can be made with county clerks or the Secretary of State through January 26.