Most Active Stories
- Strong Winter Storm Bringing Significant Snow and Ice Accumulations
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Preserving Our Voices 2013
Thu January 26, 2012
Eggner's Ferry Bridge Partially Collapses Following Barge Hit
By Chad Lampe
Murray, KY – The Kentucky Highway Department reports that a barge hit the US 68/KY 80 Eggner's Ferry Bridge at the western entrance to Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area. The bridge is partially collapsed. KYTC Spokesman Keith Todd says no vehicles were on the bridge at the time. Coast Guard reports say no-one on the barge was injured. The area around the bridge is currently closed to boat traffic.
The bridge carries approximately 2800 vehicles across Kentucky Lake/The Tennessee River in an average day. The bridge opened to traffic in March 1932. In 1943 the bridge was closed for 6 months to allow the bridge to be raised to accommodate higher water levels due to the impounding of Kentucky Lake.