Most Active Stories
- Woman's Body Found Near Abandoned Vehicle in Calloway County
- Waldrop Announces Retirement From McCracken County Schools
- Carson Myre Series: Clark Elementary Choir Holiday Presentation
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Western Kentucky Short on Primary Care Physicians, Training Programs
Fri July 27, 2012
Eggner's Ferry Bridge Lights Out Before Delta Mariner Crash
The National Transportation Safety Board says Kentucky had received a warning about downed lights on the Eggners Ferry Bridge a month before a cargo ship struck it collapsing a 300-foot span.
The NTSB sent a letter to Governor Steve Beshear this week outlining the U.S. Coast Guard’s warning and recommending that the state verify the operation of navigation lighting on all bridges over navigable waters. The board also recommended the state develop inspection and maintenance procedures to keep bridge lighting reliable and maintained. The 82-hundred-ton cargo ship Delta Mariner knocked out the span in January. It reopened to automotive traffic in May.