Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Fri July 27, 2012
Eggner's Ferry Bridge Lights Out Before Delta Mariner Crash
The National Transportation Safety Board says Kentucky had received a warning about downed lights on the Eggners Ferry Bridge a month before a cargo ship struck it collapsing a 300-foot span.
The NTSB sent a letter to Governor Steve Beshear this week outlining the U.S. Coast Guard’s warning and recommending that the state verify the operation of navigation lighting on all bridges over navigable waters. The board also recommended the state develop inspection and maintenance procedures to keep bridge lighting reliable and maintained. The 82-hundred-ton cargo ship Delta Mariner knocked out the span in January. It reopened to automotive traffic in May.