Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- Bad Luck: Murray Business Loses Office After Collapse, Then Fire Threatens New Office
Fri April 12, 2013
Eggners Ferry bridge closed after tow collision
Update: The bridge has reopened to traffic.
The US 68/KY 80 Eggners Ferry Bridge over Kentucky Lake is CLOSED to traffic after a tow boat pushing several empty barges hit one of the bridge piers. The U.S. Coast Guard reports the Motor Vessel Evey T was headed downstream when a wind gust blew the tow into the right pier on the main channel just after three this afternoon.
Authorities are on the scene as a precaution and a KYDOT bridge inspector is en route to run a safety check on the bridge structure. The inspection will likely mean the bridge will remain closed to traffic until about 6 tonight.