Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Tue May 29, 2012
Eastern Kentucky College Scholarships
Governor Steve Beshear has released four million dollars for scholarships to Eastern Kentucky college students in a move to counteract a legislative stalemate.
Lawmakers wrestled with several scholarship proposals during the last legislative session, but never passed an agreement. Beshear's plan uses coal severance funds and applies to Juniors, Seniors, and Non-Traditional students who are from and attend schools in any of 9 eastern Kentucky counties. The initial program is for two years and begins with the new budget cycle in July. The program also helps pay for some distance learning development with the state's community college system.