Most Active Stories
- What Kentucky Teachers Think Of Their Schools, Education Department Releases Survey Results
- MSU's Presidential Search Committee Plans to Use National Search Firm
- MSU Board of Regents Approves Dr. Tim Miller as Interim President
- Kentucky to Raise Gas Tax in July
- Survey Finds McConnell Leading Over Democratic Challengers
Tue May 29, 2012
Eastern Kentucky College Scholarships
Governor Steve Beshear has released four million dollars for scholarships to Eastern Kentucky college students in a move to counteract a legislative stalemate.
Lawmakers wrestled with several scholarship proposals during the last legislative session, but never passed an agreement. Beshear's plan uses coal severance funds and applies to Juniors, Seniors, and Non-Traditional students who are from and attend schools in any of 9 eastern Kentucky counties. The initial program is for two years and begins with the new budget cycle in July. The program also helps pay for some distance learning development with the state's community college system.