Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Mon November 12, 2012
Earthquake Shakes East Kentucky Over Weekend
The U.S. Geological Survey says an earthquake centered in Kentucky also hit at least eight other states. The USGS website says the epicenter of the 4.3 magnitude earthquake Saturday afternoon was about 10 miles west of Whitesburg, near the Virginia line.
Residents in both states as well as West Virginia, Tennessee, and others reported feeling the temblor. USGS geophysicist John Bellini says the quake is considered "light." Bellini says people near the epicenter might have pictures fall off walls or books tumble from shelves. Tennessee Valley Authority and Oak Ridge nuclear weapons plant officials say they sustained no damage in the earthquake.