Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Wed February 22, 2012
Earthquake Resolution Passed
The Paducah City Commissioners approved a resolution Tuesday supporting the reevaluation of western Kentucky's status on the National Seismic Hazard Map. The map currently rates the area's propensity for earthquakes as high as Los Angeles or San Francisco. However, Zhenming Wang and James Cobb of the University of Kentucky have been reviewing the methodology used to create the map. Their new methods could lower western Kentucky's seismic risk. Commissioner Richard Abraham said if the city could ease building codes as a result of lower risk, it could lessen the strain on builders and developers and possibly improve the economy.