Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- New Details Coming for Downtown Paducah Hotel
- Kentucky Transportation Official Says No US 68/KY 80 Speed Limit Increase Until Project Complete
Thu May 3, 2012
Early Kentucky Derby Favorites
Bodemeister is the early 4 to 1 favorite for the Kentucky Derby, with Union Rags the second choice in a full field of 20 horses.
Trained by three-time Derby winner Bob Baffert, Bodemeister drew the No. 6 spot at the post position draw yesterday at Churchill Downs. Six horses have won from that position, the last being Sea Hero in 1993. Union Rags drew the No. 4 post and is listed at 9 to 2. The unbeaten Gemologist is the third choice at 6 to 1. He’ll run from the 15th spot. Last year’s Breeder’s Cup Juvenile champion, Hansen, will break from post position number 14, with odds of 10 to 1. He’s trained by Mike Maker and owned by northern Kentucky Dr. Kendall Hansen.
“I think if Mike Maker was doing the odds we’d be 1 to 1, if I was doing the odds, we’d be 3 to 1 and everybody else will find out why we think that way later,” says Hansen
The 138th Kentucky Derby will be run about 6:24pm Saturday.