Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Thu May 3, 2012
Early Kentucky Derby Favorites
Bodemeister is the early 4 to 1 favorite for the Kentucky Derby, with Union Rags the second choice in a full field of 20 horses.
Trained by three-time Derby winner Bob Baffert, Bodemeister drew the No. 6 spot at the post position draw yesterday at Churchill Downs. Six horses have won from that position, the last being Sea Hero in 1993. Union Rags drew the No. 4 post and is listed at 9 to 2. The unbeaten Gemologist is the third choice at 6 to 1. He’ll run from the 15th spot. Last year’s Breeder’s Cup Juvenile champion, Hansen, will break from post position number 14, with odds of 10 to 1. He’s trained by Mike Maker and owned by northern Kentucky Dr. Kendall Hansen.
“I think if Mike Maker was doing the odds we’d be 1 to 1, if I was doing the odds, we’d be 3 to 1 and everybody else will find out why we think that way later,” says Hansen
The 138th Kentucky Derby will be run about 6:24pm Saturday.