Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Tue February 26, 2013
Dr. Alkhatib Previews Lecture "Shariah Law and American Family Courts"
Dr. Ihsan Alkhatib, Assistant Professor of Government, Law and International Affairs at Murray State gives a presentation on Shariah Law and American Family Courts on Thursday (February 28) in Room 500, Faculty Hall, at 4:30 p.m. Dr. Alkhatib examines the workings of the Wayne County Family Court Division in Detroit, Michigan. This county includes a large Muslim population. Interviews with attorneys who represent Muslim litigants reveal that Islamic law issues do frequently come up in family law cases, but instead of Islamic law crossing the boundary separating church and state and imposing itself on the Court, it is the secular law that is imposing itself on the religion. We welcomed Dr. Alkhatib to Sounds Good for a preview.