Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Mon March 9, 2009
DPA Asks State to Halt Executions
By Angela Hatton
Frankfort, KY – The Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy wants Governor Steve Beshear to suspend any executions in the state until after the budget crisis passes. The agency expects to run out of money to pay public defenders in May. Jefferson County Chief Public Defender Daniel T. Goyette was one of several people who signed a letter sent to Beshear last week calling for the moratorium. The state faces a $456 million revenue shortfall, which has forced broad cuts in government services.