Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Tue April 8, 2014
Downtown Murray's Main Street Reopened to Traffic
KY 94/Main Street through downtown Murray is now clear to traffic after more than a month of closure at the intersection of 4th street stemming from February's building collapse.
Local traffic has been blocked off to the northeast side of the court square after a building housing the law offices of Rick Jones on the 300 block of 4th street collapsed on Feb. 22. Crews have since demolished the site.
City Administrator Matt Mattingly said city and Kentucky Transportation Cabinet crews worked throughout the morning to remove roadblocks and detour signs downtown by noon today.
Mattingly said power was restored to the intersection by Murray Electric this morning and that KYTC crews are now working to reprogram the traffic lights.
The section of 4th street between Main and Walnut streets will remain closed until further notice.
The KYTC advises Murray motorists to avoid driving into oncoming lanes of traffic to get around traffic blockades.