Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Roads & Highways
Fri November 2, 2012
Dorena-Hickman Reopens to Semi Traffic
A ferry that carries traffic between western Kentucky and southeast Missouri has reopened to loaded semi trucks. Dorena-Hickman Ferry officials say Mississippi River water levels have returned to near normal levels following a summer drought. The ferry was closed from June 23 to Aug. 8 due to low river levels.
But the ferry was restricted to passenger vehicles and box trucks once it reopened. Capt. Ed Floyd says low water prevented heavier trucks from crossing the ramps safely.