Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Thu September 20, 2012
Democrats Walk Out of Meeting on Insurance Exchange
The debate over Kentucky’s health insurance exchange ended with a walkout by Democratic lawmakers yesterday. Democrats were angered over an attempt by Republicans on the joint Health and Welfare committee to declare Governor Steve Beshear's executive order establishing the exchange illegal.
The GOP says the governor should have sought legislative approval to create the exchange. Democrats disagreed. Republican State Senator Katie Stine says the walkout won’t stop lawmakers from pushing the issue. She says,
“If this executive order, which I submit to you is flawed, but if it were to stand and we take no action to put it in cement, it will fall, it will fail. By virtue of what our rules are, how our state operates.”
While no Democrats were present, their counterparts had the record reflect that all committee members supported the idea.