Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Tue April 30, 2013
Democrats Nominate Kay for House Special Election
The Democratic candidate is in place for a key special election in Central Kentucky.
Attorney James Kay of Versailles will run for the Kentucky state House seat being left vacant by Carl Rollins. Rollins is leaving office to work with two state education groups. Kay is the chair of the Woodford County Democratic Party and a legislative aide to Democratic House leadership.
A group of Democratic leaders from Woodford, Franklin and Fayette counties nominated him to run. Republicans will choose their nominee tonight . The special election will be June 25.
This race is the first of many anticipated battles for control of the state House, which is currently led by Democrats. The GOP has been eyeing a takeover for years, and hopes to gain ground in the next two years.