Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Mon August 6, 2012
Democrats and Republicans Sling Mud at Fancy Farm Picnic
While not many Democrats showed up to speak at this year’s Fancy Farm picnic, one of the few who did unleashed a flurry of verbal assaults on the GOP.
House Speaker Greg Stumbo spoke on behalf of Governor Steve Beshear. In his remarks, Stumbo blamed U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell for many of the nation’s problems. And he aimed his other taunts at Republicans at every level, from the statehouse to the top of the ticket, criticizing Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's business and tax returns.
Republicans took shots at Stumbo as well, thanking him for attending the picnic to defend the president. House Republican Leader Jeff Hoover, who is spearheading a campaign to take over the state House, blamed Stumbo for the state’s flailing pension system and myriad Medicaid problems.