Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri April 2, 2010
Democratic Governors Receive Threatening Letters
By Angela Hatton
Washington, D. C. – Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear, and the governors of Tennessee, and Illinois are among more than 30 state chief executives who've received letters from an anti-government group, prompting a warning from the FBI. The letters from a group calling itself Guardians of the Free Republics demand that the governors leave office within 3 days or they will be removed. While investigators don't see threats of violence in the letters, a federal intelligence note is warning police that the calls may encourage others to act out violently. The warning comes as law enforcement officials pay more attention to far-right extremist groups after the arrest of nine Christian militia members last weekend accused of plotting violence.