Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Mon September 3, 2012
Datebook: September 3 - Happy Labor Day
Nothing better than a Monday off of work. Wait... what am I doing here?! Labor Day celebrates the economic and social contributions of workers. Under President Cleveland, Congress unanimously voted to approve the holiday after the deaths of workers at the hands of the military during the Pullman Strike.
It’s Labor Day, September 3
The City of Mayfield holds an organizational meeting for the second phase of the Let’s Paint the Town project. The project raises funds for paint and other supplies, then uses volunteer labor to improve the look of the downtown area. Volunteers and other interested individuals are invited to come to City Hall tomorrow evening at 5 to learn more.
A series of Cooper Clayton Smoking Cessation Classes starts tomorrow. The 13-week program meets atMurray-Calloway County Hospital. Healthcare professionals lead classes in behavior modification techniques, group discussion, and ways to minimize relapse. To register, call 762-1348.
The McCracken County Public Library offers a “From Off the Shelf” book discussion with Andrew Halford Wednesday at noon. The book is titled “The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared.” For more information, call (270) 442-2510 or visit mclib.net.
See more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.