Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Tue September 3, 2013
Datebook: September 3 - Frederick Douglass Escapes to Freedom 175 Years Ago
Dressed as a sailor, Frederick Douglass boarded a train to Maryland, transferred in Delaware, and took a steamboat to Philadelphia. He was a free man. He married free black woman Anna Murray, who had helped him secure the trip. On freedom, said he felt "as one might feel upon escape from a den of hungry lions."
It's Tuesday, September 3
New Covenant Christian Academy hosts The Lion's Roar Bike Ride Saturday morning, with registration starting at 7. Fifteen, thirty, and sixty-two mile options are available. All routes start and end at 218 College Street in Hardin. Race day registration is $22. Find registration forms at nccaky.org. For more information call (270) 703-4953.
Kentucky State Police Post 1 in Mayfield hosts the 2013 Scott Lathram Memorial Trooper Island Golf Tournament this Thursday at Lake Barkley State Park. Registration for the four-person scramble starts at 9 with a shotgun start at 10. The entry fee is $240 per team, due the day of the tournament. All proceeds go to Trooper Island.
The WATCH Center at 702 Main Street in Murray needs aluminum cans for an ongoing fundraising project. Drop off cans anytime, seven days a week, by driving through the driveway on the west side of the center and placing them in the cotton wagon.
Add your community events to the online calendar at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.