Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
Fri September 20, 2013
Datebook: September 20 - Billie Jean King Defeats Bobby Riggs 40 Years Ago
Billie Jean King defeats tennis legend Bobby Riggs in all three rounds of the Battle of the Sexes tennis match. The event was highly publicized, witnessed by over 30,000 spectators in the Astrodome and 50 million TV viewers. Her win was seen as a victory for women's rights in sports and in general.
It’s Friday, September 20
Teams may now register for the 5th Annual Murray Adult Spelling Bee and Chili Supper, set for Monday, September 30th, at the Murray Woman’s Clubhouse. The cost is $30 for a team of 3, with Spellagains available for an additional charge. Spectator admission is $1, or $7 for a chili supper meal. To register a team, call Cindy Graves at 270-978-0101.
The Healthy Living & Wellness Expo is tomorrow from 9 to 3 in the Murray State University Curris Center. The public is invited to listen to speakers and ask questions. Topics include Women’s Health, Alzheimer’s and Dementia, Heart Health, Financial Preparation for the Future, Questions and Answers about Medicare/Medicaid, and more. Free health screenings are also available.
Angels Attic Thrift Shop seeks donations of clothing, furniture, appliances, household items, and toys. Sale proceeds benefit the Angels Community Clinic. Bring donations to 972 Chestnut Street Monday through Saturday from 8 to 5.
See more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.