Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Tue October 8, 2013
Datebook: October 8 - Ken Warby Sets Water Speed Record 35 Years Ago
Faster than a speeding fish, Australian motorboat racer Ken Warby holds the water speed record of 317.60 miles per hour, set on this day in 1978. He built his boat Spirit of Australia in his backyard out of wood, fiberglass, and a jet engine. The sport has a fatality rate of 85%.
It’s Tuesday, October 8
Murray-Calloway County Hospital's Wellness Works program offers a free community health screening Thursday morning from 6-9 at the MCCH Center for Health and Wellness, 716 Poplar St. A free lipid panel includes total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL and HDL. Twelve-hour fast required. For more information, call 270-762-1348.
Maiden Alley Cinema presents a free screening of the film "Consider the Conversation" Thursday night at 5. The film looks at many end-of-life issues. A free conversation starter kit is offered, and professionals are on hand to answer questions. Doors will open 30 minutes before the film. See details at maidenalleycinema.org.
The Humane Society of Calloway County hosts BARKtoberfest this Saturday in Murray's Central Park. The event features a costume contest, digital pet photos, microchipping, refreshments, and more. Find more information at forthepets.org.
See more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.