Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Wed October 2, 2013
Datebook: October 2 - Gandhi Jayanti
Today is Mohandas Gandhi's 144th birthday. Commonly considered the "Father of the Nation" in India, his birthday is commemorated as Gandhi Jayanti, a national holiday and a worldwide celebration of non-violence. The day is marked by prayer and cultural activities that glorify peace.
It's Wednesday, Oct. 2
Blessing of the Animals, celebrating the Feast Day of St. Francis, is Sunday afternoon at 3 at St. John's Episcopal Church, 1620 Main Street. All socialized pets are welcome to come and receive a personal blessing. Photos of pets who cannot travel will also be blessed. The public is invited to attend.
Hotel Metropolitan hosts its fish fry this Friday at the Hotel, 724 Oscar Cross Avenue in Paducah. Plates are $8 and sandwiches are $5. Plates include fish, two sides, and dessert. Call orders ahead to 994-1783. Proceeds benefit the preservation of Hotel Metropolitan.
Pianist Matthew Gianforte gives a recital Sunday afternoon at 3:30 in the Performing Arts Hall, located on the 2nd floor of the Old Fine Arts Building on the campus of Murray State University. The program includes works by Haydn, Debussy, and Liszt. The performance is free and open to the public.