Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Mon October 15, 2012
Datebook: October 15 - First Car Breaks the Sound Barrier 15 Years Ago
On this day in 1997, the ThrustSSC (Supersonic Car) set the land speed record, achieving 763 miles per hour, officially breaking the sound barrier. This came exactly 50 years after Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier with the Bell X-1 research rocket plane in 1947. Anything to shorten the commute!
It’s Monday, October 15
The Calloway County Extension Office offers a one-day rain garden workshop on Wednesday from noon to 6 at the Chestnut Street Park Pavilion. The workshop format provides both classroom and hands-on instruction for creating a rain garden. The cost is $15, and lunch is provided. To register, call 753-1452.
Dr. Gregory Martin gives a piano recital tomorrow night in Murray State University’s Performing Arts Hall. Hear works by Grieg, Schumann, and Bach. There’s a pre-recital lecture at 6 o’clock, and the recital begins at 7:30. Admission is free. For more information, call 809-6443.
Ballard County Elementary School sponsors an American Red Cross blood drive tomorrow afternoon from 1:30 to 6:30 in the Ballard Memorial High School gym lobby. Schedule an appointment atredcrossblood.org or call 665-8400.
We’re giving away a Kindle Fire HD on October 31st. Get in the drawing at wkms.org.