Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Wed November 7, 2012
Datebook: November 7 - LBJ Establishes the CPB 45 Years Ago
It's a day to celebrate for public radio! On this day in 1967, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Public Broadcasting Act of 1967, establishing the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and eventually National Public Radio. He said, "Today we rededicate a part of the airwaves-which belong to all of the people - and we dedicate them for enlightenment of all of the people."
It’s Wednesday, November 7
The Calloway County Public Library offers a free computer class tomorrow morning from 9 to 11. The focus of the class is the Microsoft Excel program. For more information, call the library at (270) 753-2288.
Mayfield First United Methodist Church collects shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child next week. Fill shoeboxes with toys, school supplies, and hygiene items to be distributed worldwide to children in need. See guidelines at samaritanspurse.org, or call the church at 247-5678.
The Cairo Levee 5K and 10K footrace is Saturday morning, beginning at St. Mary’s Park. On-site registration starts at 10, and the race starts at 11. Proceeds benefit Community Health & Emergency Services, Inc. For more information, call (618) 734-4400.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.