Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- New Details Coming for Downtown Paducah Hotel
- Kentucky Transportation Official Says No US 68/KY 80 Speed Limit Increase Until Project Complete
Mon November 5, 2012
Datebook: November 5 - Remember, Remember...
The Gunpowder Plot was a failed assassination attempt against Protestant King James I of England on November 5, 1605. Conspirator Guy Fawkes was arrested while guarding explosives beneath the House of Lords. People lit bonfires and made an annual celebration in remembrance of the survival of the king.
It’s Monday, November 5
“Farming in the Black Patch” premieres tonight at Murray State University’s Curris Center. The new documentary explains the process of tobacco cultivation and outlines the task of running and operating a modern tobacco farm. Doors open at 6, and the film begins at 6:45.
Application materials are now available for the Paducah Symphony Orchestra’s 2013 Young Artist Concerto Competition. High school pianists and orchestral instrumentalists compete for a $1,000 cash prize, a guest solo appearance with the Paducah Symphony, and a music scholarship to Murray State University. Details and applications at paducahsymphony.org.
The Murray State University Rowing Team offers its annual “Rent-A-Rower” event on Saturday. Student-athletes complete yard work and other jobs to raise money for MSU Rowing. The cost is $40 per worker for each four-hour shift. Submit work requests by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
See more community events at wkms.org.