Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Wed November 28, 2012
Datebook: November 28 - Grand Ole Opry Begins Broadcasting 87 Years Ago
The Grand Ole Opry, one of the longest-running broadcasts in history, began on this day in 1925 has a one-hour radio show called "WSM Barn Dance." An American icon, the Opry brought country music to the forefront for decades: from Hank Williams and Patsy Cline, to Garth Brooks and Carrie Underwood.
It’s Wednesday, November 28
Land Between the Lakes offers free cedar Christmas trees beginning Saturday. Pick up permits, maps, and cutting guidelines from the Administrative Office during the week or from the Golden Pond Visitor Center on the weekends. For details, visit lbl.org and click on “Newsroom.”
The University of Tennessee at Martin Piano Ensemble gives a concert tomorrow night at 7:30 at Trinity Presbyterian Church. Hear piano duets, piano duos, and four-hand piano works. Selections include Christmas carol arrangements as well as works by Rachmaninoff, Poulenc, Schubert, Brahms, Dussek, and Purcell. The concert is free and open to the public.
Adsmore House and Gardens offers a special candlelight tour Saturday evening at 6. Journey back in time to Christmas Eve 1901 as the Smith-Garrett family celebrates their first Christmas in their new home. For reservations, call (270) 365-3114.
See community event details at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.