Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Thu November 1, 2012
Datebook: November 1 - Sistine Chapel Opens to the Public 500 Years Ago
Michelangelo's 5,000 square feet of elaborate frescoes depicting biblical scenes were seen by the public for the first time on this day in 1512. Johann Wolfgang Goethe said, "Without having seen the Sistine Chapel one can form no appreciable idea of what one man is capable of achieving."
It’s Thursday, November 1
The Murray State University Symphonic Wind Ensemble gives its annual President’s Concert tonight at 7:30 in Lovett Auditorium. Dr. Jonathan Whitaker of the University of Alabama is the guest soloist on trombone. The concert is free and open to the public.
Community Emergency Response Team training is tomorrow from 5 to 9 and Saturday from 8 to 4 at Pembroke Baptist Church. CERT is a volunteer service that helps with disaster preparedness, fire safety, search and rescue, terrorism awareness, and disaster response. Anyone interested in being trained is invited to attend. To learn more, call 270-886-9484.
Melody Jenkins Fried and David Smyth give a recital of piano duets and music for two pianos tonight at 7:30 at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Martin, Tennessee. The free recital features works by Poulenc, Britten, Copland, Bartok, and Surinach.
See more community events at wkms.org.