Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon May 20, 2013
Datebook: May 20 - Levi Strauss Gets Patent for Blue Jeans 140 Years Ago
On this day in 1873, San Francisco businessman (and one-time Kentucky resident) Levi Strauss and tailor Jacob Davis received a patent to make riveted work pants out of denim, the first blue jeans. Still a family-owned business, Levi Strauss & Co. employs over 16,000 people and has an annual revenue of $4.4 billion.
It’s Monday, May 20
Alzheimer’s Association Education Coordinator Helene French provides training on Activities and Home Safety tomorrow morning at 10 at the Pennyrile Area Development District office in Hopkinsville. For more information and to register, contact James Patterson at 886-9484.
A retirement reception for Eleanor Spry, Murray Elementary Principal from 1996 to 2003 and Assistant Superintendent from 2003 to 2013, is set for tomorrow afternoon from 4 to 6 at the Murray Elementary School cafeteria. The public is invited to attend.
The Starfish Orphan Ministry 5K/10K Run for the Children & Family Day in the Park is Saturday morning at Bob Noble Park in Paducah. Race day registration starts at 7, with races starting at 8. Proceeds benefit the Starfish Orphan Ministry, which helps orphans both locally and internationally. For more information, visit starfishorphanministry.org.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org.