Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Tue May 1, 2012
Datebook: May 1 - Calamity Jane Turns 160
Martha Jane Cannary Burke was born on May 1, 1852 (and died August 1, 1903). She was an American frontierswoman and professional scout better known as "Calamity Jane." She was an acquaintance of Wild Bill Hickok and famous for having fought Native Americans. She's said to have also exhibited kindness and compassion, especially to the sick and needy. A popular belief is that she acquired her nickname as a result of her warnings to men that to offend her was to "court calamity."
It’s Tuesday, May 1
The First United Methodist Church in Paris hosts its Spring Gathering on Friday from 11 to 1 in the Christian Life Center. Enjoy a hot lunch, a bake sale, a plant sale, and a quilt showcase. $8 tickets are available at 642-4764.
Western Baptist Hospital offers a Prepared Childbirth Class this Saturday from 9 to 3. The free class is designed to help expectant parents in their second or third trimester learn about the labor and delivery process. Register at 575-2229.
Market House Theater hosts the ComedySportz Improv Troupe this Friday. Two teams will compete for laughs and points as they make up scenes, games, and songs on the spot. The audience votes for the winners, and a referee calls the fouls. The family-friendly event starts at 7:30 on the Main Stage. Purchase $25 tickets by calling 444-6828.
If you depend on WKMS for news and entertainment, know that we depend on you. Learn more at wkms.org.