Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Thu March 21, 2013
Datebook: March 21 - Alcatraz Closes 50 Years Ago
"The Rock" closed on this day in 1963. The prison served as a military garrison during the Civil War, then became a military prison, and eventually a federal penitentiary housing some of the most notorious criminals in the country, like Al Capone, the Birdman (Robert Stroud), "Machine Gun" Kelly, "Whitey" Bulger, among others. No prisoner successfully escaped.
It’s Thursday, March 21
The Puppy Party offers 6- to 16-week-old puppies the opportunity to learn basic obedience skills and to socialize with other dogs. Murray State University animal behavior students lead three sessions at Carmen Pavilion on Monday nights in April, beginning on the 15th. The cost is $25. To register, call the Humane Society of Calloway County at 759-1884.
The Mayfield-Graves County Food Pantry seeks donations of food or money. During March and April, donations are applied to the Feinstein Challenge, a matching program providing one million dollars nationwide to food pantries. Drop off donations at 424 S. 9th Street in Mayfield Monday through Thursday from 9:30 to noon.
The Murray Human Rights Commission presents free screenings of the 2011 documentary “Bully” at Cheri Theaters of Murray on Tuesday at 4:30 and 7. Admission is free, but you must get a ticket from the City Hall Customer Service Counter.
See more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.