Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Mon March 18, 2013
Datebook: March 18 - Rudolf Diesel Turns 155
German inventor and mechanical engineer Rudolf Diesel was born on this day in 1858. He developed the Diesel engine, which became an important replacement for the piston engine, and more fuel efficient than gasoline engines. Although, he may not have known the significance of his own design. In 1913, Diesel suffered a mysterious death on the passenger steam ship SS Dresden.
It’s Monday, March 18
There’s an informational meeting tonight about the Paducah Parks Services Department softball leagues. The meeting is tonight at 6:30 at the Parks Office, and the deadline to register teams is March 29. For more information, visit paducahky.gov.
Tickets are now on sale for the Murray State University History Department’s 2013 T. Wayne Beasley Scholarship Banquet, to be held on March 30th at 7PM in the Curris Center Ballroom. The guest speaker is James A. Epstein of Vanderbilt University. Make reservations at (270) 809-2231.
Market House Theatre holds open auditions tomorrow and Wednesday at 5PM for “Tomato Plant Girl,” a play for young audiences exploring friendship and bullying. Parts are available for three girls ages 10 to 15. See details at mhtplay.com.
Thanks for your support during our spring fundraiser. See more community events atwkms.org.