Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Tue March 12, 2013
Datebook: March 12 - FDR Delivers First Fireside Chat 80 Years Ago
If you gathered the family around the radio on this day in 1933, chances are good you heard President Roosevelt's first "fireside chat." The 'chats' were FDR's effort to communicate directly to citizens. With a cheery voice and demeanor, these made him quite popular and made it imperative that a president be both charismatic and stoic.
It’s Tuesday, March 12
The Mayfield-Graves County Food Pantry seeks donations of food or money. During March and April, donations are applied to the Feinstein Challenge, a matching program providing one million dollars nationwide to food pantries. Drop off donations at 424 S. 9th Street in Mayfield Monday through Thursday from 9:30 to noon. Call (270) 247-6333 for more information.
The Murray State University Department of Music presents a Dedication Recital tonight in honor of the recently-purchased Steinway concert grand piano. The recital is at 7:30 in Farrell Recital Hall, located on the third floor of the Price Doyle Fine Arts Building. Admission is free.
The Paducah Symphony Orchestra has announced the first PSO Summer Music Camp for elementary, middle, and high school students, to be held June 17th through the 21st at West Kentucky Community and Technical College. Register at paducahsymphony.org.
Visit the online community event calendar at wkms.org, and consider making an online pledge to public radio. Thanks.