Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Thu June 27, 2013
Datebook: June 27 - Slocum Sails the World 115 Years Ago
Joshua Slocum became the first person to sail single-handedly around the world on this day in 1898. He set sail from Boston in 1895 in a repurposed oyster boat and used a cheap clock and noon-sun sights to navigate. Three years later, he arrived in Newport, Rhode Island, traveling a distance of 46,000 miles.
It’s Thursday, June 27
Baptist Health Paducah offers Safe Sitter classes for ages 11 and up tomorrow from 9 to 4. The one-day babysitting course, taught by certified instructors, teaches young teens life and safety skills. The $30 fee includes lunch and supplies. Pre-register by calling 270-575-8444.
There’s a boating safety class Saturday at Eddy Creek Marina Resort. The free class is offered by the Kuttawa Flotilla of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. The session runs from 9 to 4 and emphasizes the principles of safe operation that apply to all types of boats. To register call 502-460-6495.
The Homeplace at Land Between the Lakes offers a workshop on stripping and twisting dark fired tobacco Saturday morning at 10. The cost is $25, and registration and a full deposit are required by calling 270-924-2020.
Find more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.