Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Thu June 14, 2012
Datebook: June 14 - Flag Day
Happy Flag Day! It's a United States holiday commemorating the adoption of the flag, which happened on June 14, 1777 by resolution of the Second Continental Congress. The US Army also celebrates its birthday on this date.
In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation officially establishing June 14 as flag day. In 1949, National Flag Day became a recognized holiday by an Act of Congress. Fly your flags today and give Betsy Ross an air five.
It’s Thursday, June 14
There’s a new exhibit opening tomorrow at the National Quilt Museum titled “The Exquisite Stitch: 200 Years of Hand Quilting.” The exhibit features hand-quilted antique and contemporary quilts from around the country. It’s on display through September. Find more information at quiltmuseum.org.
The Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act program offers a free Benefits Checkup tomorrow morning at 9 at the Watts Senior Center in Hopkinsville. Information about the Extra Help Program will be available. The Extra Help Program helps eligible people pay monthly premiums, annual deductibles, and prescription co-pays. Anyone interested is encouraged to attend.
Saturday is Children’s Day on the Farm at the Homeplace in Land Between the Lakes. Kids can learn to do 1850s farm chores, earn credits for their work, and then trade the credits for 1850s-style treats at the General Store. The cost is $4 for adults and $2 for children. Learn more at lbl.org.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org.