Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon July 8, 2013
Datebook: July 8 - US Air Force Accepts Female Recruits 65 Years Ago
Sergeant Esther Blake became the first woman enlisted in the Air Force, on the first minute of this day in 1948. Though a step forward by President Truman, the WAF (Women in the Air Force) program offered limited roles, mainly transport piloting and aircraft maintenance. WAF ended in 1976.
It's Monday, July 8
The Fibromyalgia Support Group meets tonight at 6:30 in the Murray-Calloway County Hospital Center for Health and Wellness. The group is led by licensed massage therapist Molly Rogers. For more information, call (270) 762-1348.
As part of the "Faith In Film" series, Maiden Alley Cinema in Paducah presents "Beasts of the Southern Wild" tonight at 6:30. A fierce storm changes the reality of a six-year-old girl existing on the brink of orphanhood. The presentation is hosted by Project Aids Orphan. Admission is $5. See more at maidenalleycinema.com.
The Glema Mahr Center for the Arts presents the Japanese Kimono Exhibit from the Claude Holeman Collection, on loan from the Dawson Springs Museum & Art Center through July 21. The gallery is open to the public Monday through Friday from 9-4 and 3 hours prior to every performance at the Center. Admission is free.