Most Active Stories
- While Dangerous Predicted Winter Weather Won't Contend With '09 Ice Storm
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- EKU Plans Response To White Supremacist Flyer Posted In Classroom Buildings
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
Wed July 25, 2012
Datebook: July 25 - First Commercial Elecric Telegraph Sent 175 Years Ago
Sir William Cooke and Charles Wheatstone successfully demonstrated the first commercial electric telegraph on this day in London. It was later used on the Great Western Railway as a system to catch criminals. It had no punctuation and missed the J, Q, and Z. So "A zebra just kidnapped the Queen!" would be "A webra gust kidnapped the Freen"
It’s Wednesday, July 25
Murray and Bardstown have been named to a list of the "five best small towns in America" by Rand McNally and USA Today. Murray was selected as the friendliest small town, and Bardstown was selected as the most beautiful small town. An hour-long special on the Best of the Road towns airs at 7 tonight on the Travel Channel.
The University of Kentucky Telehealth Series for Dementia provides a program on “Caring for the Caregiver: Community Resources” tomorrow evening at 5:30 at the Pennyrile Area Development District office in Hopkinsville. For more information, contact James Patterson at (270) 886-9484.
The movie “Cars 2” is the featured film at tomorrow night’s Movie in the Park event in Paducah’s Noble Park. The free showing starts at dusk. Concessions are available for purchase. Bring your own lawn chairs, blankets, and insect repellant.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.