Most Active Stories
- While Dangerous Predicted Winter Weather Won't Contend With '09 Ice Storm
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- EKU Plans Response To White Supremacist Flyer Posted In Classroom Buildings
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
Thu July 19, 2012
Datebook: July 19 - Allen Collins Turns 60
Allen Collins was one of the founding members of Lynyrd Skynyrd, and a guitar prodigy perhaps best known for his blazing solo in "Free Bird." Though he survived the plane crash of '77, he was later injured in a car crash, which caused complications leading to his death in 1990. 'Cause I'm as free as a bird now, And this bird you cannot change... Is this not the stuff of legend?
It’s Thursday, July 19
The McCracken County Public Library remembers U.S. Vice President Alben W. Barkley tonight with a special program by Kentucky Court of Appeals Judge Shea Nickell. This year marks the 135th anniversary of Barkley’s birth. The program starts at 7 in the Upstairs Meeting Room.
Paducah Blood Pressure 4 Kids Awareness Day will be Saturday from 10 to 4 at Kentucky Oaks Mall. Volunteers from the Pediatric Group of Paducah will provide free blood pressure screenings for children ages 3 to 17. Stars from the History Channel’s “Swamp People” will be present to meet fans, and the first 500 kids will receive a goody bag.
The Nature Station at Land Between the Lakes hosts a Sunset Canoe Trip Saturday evening at 6. The cost is $25 per canoe. Reservations and full deposits are required; call 270-924-2020 to reserve a space and learn the meeting location. Weather permitting.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.