Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Thu July 11, 2013
Datebook: July 11 - Mikimoto Creates Pearl Industry 120 Years Ago
Japanese entrepreneur Kokichi Mikimoto established the pearl industry on this day in 1893, when he cultured a semi-spherical pearl. While others filed similar patents, Mikimoto's process was, and still is considered one of the best. He is a Grand Cordon of Japan's Order of the Sacred Treasure.
It’s Thursday, July 11
Mezzo-soprano Hope Thacker is the featured performer at “A Night at the Opera,” set for Saturday, July 20, at 6:30 at the Lee Academy for the Arts in Paris, Tennessee. The show features an entertaining introduction to the roles of opera’s mezzos. Tickets to the black tie dinner, dessert and wine theater are $25 per person and are available by calling 731-676-2772.
The Nature Station at Land Between the Lakes offers Cool and Crawly Critters Day Saturday from 10 to 4. Explore the world of bugs, snakes, turtles, and fish. See a complete schedule at lbl.org.
The Pennyroyal Area Museum in Hopkinsville offers a special exhibit titled “Aisle of Style: 70 Years of Wedding Fashion,” on display through August 10. Six dresses represent popular fashion trends from the late 19th through the mid-20th centuries. Details at museumsofhopkinsville.org.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.