Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Mon January 21, 2013
Datebook: January 21 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Today is the observation of the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. (born January 15). A hero of the civil rights movement, King successfully protested racial discrimination through nonviolent activism. The federal holiday was signed into law by President Reagan in 1983, and was officially observed by all 50 states in 2000.
It’s Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Murray-Calloway County Hospital’s Blood Donor Center holds blood drives tomorrow and Wednesday from 7 to 4. Blood donors must be at least 18 years old, be in good health, and weigh at least 110 pounds. For more information, call 1-800-342-6224.
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area waives fees at participating day-use facilities today in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. General admission to the Elk & Bison Prairie is free, and Wranglers Campground waives day-use riding fees. See details at lbl.org.
Angels Attic Thrift Shop needs donations of clothing, furniture, appliances, household items, and toys. Proceeds support the Angels Community Clinic, which helps Calloway County residents without medical insurance. Bring items to 972 Chestnut Street Monday through Saturday from 8 to 5, or call 762-0505 for pickup.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org.