Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- Bad Luck: Murray Business Loses Office After Collapse, Then Fire Threatens New Office
Thu February 21, 2013
Datebook: February 21 - Peace Symbol Designed 55 Years Ago
On this day in 1958, British artist Gerald Holtom finished his design for the British Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND). The symbol is actually a combination of the letters CND (the N is the 'triangle' in the middle). Eventually, it became known an international symbol of peace.
It’s Thursday, February 21
The 2013 Murray Main Street Trivia Night is tomorrow from 6 to 8:30 at the Maple Center. The evening includes heavy hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar. The cost is $150 for a team of eight, or $10 each for spectators. For more information, call 759-9474.
Baptist Health Paducah offers free screenings during a Heart Health Fair Saturday from 9 to noon in the atrium of Doctors Office Building 2. Staff members provide free blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol screenings. Fasting and advance registration are not required. To learn more, call 575-2918.
There’s a Doggie Day Spa Saturday from 9 to 2 at Carmen Pavilion, across from Calloway County High School. The Humane Society microchips dogs for $10. MSU students bathe dogs for $7, clean ears and trim nails for $4, or provide the works for $10. Canine DNA test kits to determine breed mix are available for $50.
See more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.