Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Mon February 18, 2013
Datebook: February 18 - Presidents Day
Congress implemented the first federal holiday honoring an American citizen in 1879, George Washington's birthday. 100 years later, Presidents Day emerged to celebrate Washington and Lincoln's birthdays together. It's a tradition in the Senate to read Washington's Farewell Address on his birthday.
It’s Monday, February 18
Murray-Calloway County Hospital hosts a blood drive Wednesday from 8:30 to 4 at the Center for Health and Wellness. MCCH especially needs donations of A-Positive blood. Donors must be at least 18 years old, be in good health, and weigh at least 110 pounds. For more information, call 762-1119.
The Murray-Calloway County Warming Center is open to anyone needing a safe and warm place to stay from 6PM to 8AM. The warming center is located at St. John’s Episcopal Church on West Main Street in Murray. Volunteers are welcome. For more information, call 753-1881.
Baptist Campus Ministries hosts a Frostbite 5K Saturday, beginning at 9AM. The race is an easy route through the Murray State University campus. Race-day registration is at MSU’s Carr Health Lawn, with parking available at the Curris Center. Proceeds benefit BCM missions.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.